Re: [gtk-list] Re: g_list_insert_sorted bug

> No, no, no. This is entirely wrong.
Oops, sorry :)

> An _empty_ GList is represented by NULL. This is entirely different
> from a list node with the data member equal to NULL.
>
>  GList *list = NULL;       /* empty */
>
>  list = g_list_append (list, "one"); /* now has one element */
>  list = g_list_append (list, "two"); /* now has two elements */

I always thought g_list_alloc() allocated a GList (almost makes sense,
doesn't it? :)  Because of that I'd always get a first item of NULL (since
I would always alloc a list, then append items).  But you're right, if you
just append to a NULL list, glib automatically creates the list for you.
The reason I got confused was because using a NULL first item is usually
the way I implement a linked list.  It makes logic easier by just having
to add to list->next, and not worrying about whether 'list' is the head
pointer.

Sorry for the mistake.

---
Matt Perry [guy@mikepery.linuxos.org]

Join the army, see the world, meet interesting, exciting people, and kill them.
---