Re: [gtk-list] Re: GtkCombo 0.4

On Mon, Jan 12, 1998 at 10:44:43AM +0100, Stefan Wille wrote:
> Hello Paolo,
>
> in general, a combo box is a composite of a button, a list and a child area.
> In the child area can be other widgets than an entry. For example, in MS Word'
> toolbar
> is a combo box that is used to select color - it doesn't have an entry.
> Interestingly, the Qt widget set
> has a combo box whose interface allows to use it with any widget, but has
> extra methods to
> make use of a entry child really easy. It also has a constructor that creates
> the entry if desired.

As Elliot said you want an optionmenu for that things: a combo is needed
if you want a "text" value.
With my combo widget you can pack_start a small drawing area in the
combo that will show your color, but the entry must remain visible.

Ascii art:
	|steelblue     |###| V |

In the list you could put drawing areas and non strings and then you
use the gtk_combo_set_get_string() call.

This works.
However someone may want to put a different entry widget in the combo,
so I'll try to find out a solution...

lupus