Re: Random Segv's

"Gregory A. McLean" <gregm@randomc.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> In gxsnmp I have been getting some 'random' seg faults on exit, here's a
> backtrace:
>  #0  0x4011de36 in chunk_free () at malloc.c:2824
>  #1  0x4011dd01 in __cfree () at malloc.c:2684
>  #2  0x400d92dd in g_free () at gmem.c:591
>  #3  0x400764f4 in gtk_object_finalize () at gtkobject.c:421

[....]

> The puzzling thing is this is happening at program exit, but not every time..

The symptoms indicate that the memory is getting doubly freed. I can't
say for sure if this is your problem or GTK's problem, but it
is some sort of reference counting problem.

Try running the program as:

  gxsnmp --gtk-debug objects

That should give some clues to what is causing the problem.

> Anyone have any clues? Is this some wierd glibc -> gtk interaction am I
> doing something wrong?

It is related to glibc in that not all malloc's dump core on
double frees, but it certainly is not _caused_ by using glibc.

Regards,
                                        Owen