Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk slowness?

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Feb 1998 nuke@bayside.net wrote:
>
> > in case i was ignored last time, or maybe the mail never got to the
> > list..  i was pondering why Gtk is so *slow* compared to say, Qt or
> > Motif? i don't mean it just has unneeded repaints (although that could
> > use some work too), things like the popup menus come up very slowly.
> > there isn't any delay written into the code, but it does take a short
> > moment before a menu is popped up on a mouse movement (See the Gimp's
> > Filter menu). is there a specific reason for this? is it anything we can
> > work on/fix?
>
> Have you done any investigation to find out why it is so slow?
>
> I don't have any problems with speed here... If you're running it on a
> 386SX/16, though, I'd expect a small speed problem :-)
>
> -- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
> "The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way
> to factor large prime numbers." -- Bill Gates from "The Road Ahead," p. 265.
>

> --

Every graphics program should be tested on a 386SX/16, just as every web
page should be tested through a 2400 baud connection. Both activities tend
to increase social awareness and humility.

David Sears                 | dns@connix.com, dns@essnjay.com
Huntington, CT USA-06484    | 76474.3113@compuserve.com