Re: [gtk-list] Re: Stock icons on menu items

On  9 Feb, Elliot Lee shouted:
->  On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
->
->  > > i'd really like to know peoples opinions (especially raster's since he
->  > > mentioned this possibility some while back on gtk-list) on distributing
->  > > the gtk+ package with glib, gdk, gtk *and* gdk_imlib.
->  >
->  > I think getting Gdk_imlib into Gtk is mostly an issue with the core
->  > Gtk developers.  I personally would like to see Gdk_imlib into Gtk+,
->  > if there are no objections, we probably should do this.
->
->  And then Gtk+ will require yet another library (ImageMagick) to be
->  functional...

Wrong. Imlib does not REQUIRE Imagemagick. It is a fallback mechanism
just as the NETPBM utils are. see the announce, Imlib page and tutorial
for a detailed explanation

http://www.labs.redhat.com/imlib/

->  Wouldn't it be easier to distribute it separately, or as part of gnome?

That's up to the rest of the gnome community. I am not going to push
it. It doesn't phase me if its separate or intrinsic. I suppose it
depends on wether people fins Imlib handy and useful. If a large
majority of gnome apps use Imlbi it may have to become standard. Imlib
can always avoid needing to fall back to Imagemagick or NetPBM support
if the native loaders are extended and increased in number as time
goes on - I think JPEG, PNG, GIF, XPM, PPM, PGM, TIFF ane EIM cover
nearly everyone's needs for now.

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
raster@rasterman.com       /\___ /\ ___/||\___ ____/|/\___  raster@redhat.com