Re: [gtk-list] gtk+-perl?

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, GnEaThEg0d wrote:

> One thing that has boggled me recently is the absence of work that seems
> to be done on furthering perl for gtk+ support... perhaps I am wrong and
> someone is doing some kind of 'underground' work on this?  it seems to
> be frozen at 0.4 and it won't build with any of the newer versions of
> gtk+ since a lot of the calls have changed... which makes me wonder, how
> does one use cvs gimp if such support has become obsolete???

perl has a lot of overhead.. I used to do gui stuff with perl-Tk, but
after seeing GTK... the same app written in perl/tk vs GTK+ with C:

perl/Tk version:  25 seconds to load, 10MB memory usage
GTK+/C version: 3 seconds to load, 1.5MB memory usage

Starting *any* app in perl-Tk takes a minimum 5MB memory.  I don't know if
Gtk+-perl is any better, but I'm sticking with C.  The GTK API is simple
enough that perl doesn't buy you anything in terms of development time
anymore.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@pht.com, sstone@pht.co.jp>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)