gcc doesn't like gtk-- on IRIX

Good day,
	This seems to be more of a problem with gcc than gtk--, but it is in the
process of configuring gtk-- that the problem occurs, so I was hoping that
someone else would know how to work around my problem. I am using gcc 2.8.1
and libstdc++ 2.8.1.1 on IRIX 6.5, compiled as specified at
http://reality.sgi.com/ariel/freeware/gcc-2.8.1.html . It's worked fine for
glib, gtk+, et. al. up to gtk-- . When I do ./configure for gtk--, it reports:

checking if string class works(required)... configure: warning: C++ compilers
string support does not work
no

and in config.log I have the usual warnings about bastring, then at link time
I have:

ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "_t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_trai
s1ZcZt24__default_alloc_template2b0i0$nilRep" -- 1st referenced by
/var/tmp/cca0
0mIW1.o.
        Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and dsos
ar
e loaded.
ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "clone__Q2t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_c
ar_traits1ZcZt24__default_alloc_template2b0i03Rep" -- 1st referenced by
/var/tmp
/cca00mIW1.o.
<and more>

I started looking into this, but the STL implementation is a mess and could
take a while to sort out, hence my appeal for assistance. Perhaps an up to
egcs is mandated, but that's given me some probs in the past, so I'm trying to
avoid that solution. It may be most instructive if anyone that's gotten gtk--
to work on IRIX 6 could tell me what compiler they're using.

Thanks!
-"Zow"