Re: [gtk-list] Re: Removing old version of GTK

//On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Jamie Gerdes wrote:
//
//}I just grabbed GTK+ 1.0.5 so that I could install Gimp on my machine..
//}When I went to install Gimp, the configure saw I was running 1.05
//}(that's good), but it also found version 1.0.1 (that's bad).  I'm an
//}amateur user here, and could really use some help on how I go about
//}removing v1.0.1 of GTK.  Can anyone explain...I don't even know where to
//}start looking.

Sounds like maybe you forgot to remove gtk-config? Probably in /usr/bin/, maybe
in /usr/local/bin. (If you've already installed the newer version, it may be in
two places. Remove only the one for the old version; test by running it with
--version.) And of course, all old include and lib files should be removed,
too. Don't forget <path>/lib/glib/glibconfig.h!

//GTK+'s stuff is stored in /usr/local/lib.

Assuming you didn't run ./configure with a --prefix option. If you did, you
should know where it went.

//If you installed it as an rpm,
//then the old stuff will be in /usr/lib. You can remove the rpm package
//with rpm, or manually delete the libraries.

If you've installed it with a package manager (i.e. it came with your RedHat or
Debian (or others?) installation), you should _definitely_ remove it with the
package manager. ('rpm -e glib gtk+' for rpm, you may have to force it (is that
--no-deps? See the man page.) if you have other rpms installed that depend on
this one.

//|| Bill Wendling			wendling@ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu

Regards,

Johannes.
--
"No one is quite as blind as a victim of the game" - Garth Brooks

Self-professed nerd of Mathematics and Computer Science.