Re: [gtk-list] Threads with GTK

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Daniel Adler wrote:

> i have some problems with using gtk efficient with threads... i heard
> about the gpk-proxy but it does'nt hold a lot of gtk-wrappers i need to,
> especially because i'm coding threads in components (gtk-widgets).
>
> up to now, i use to communicate between the main-gtk-thread and my
> little working threads through idle_functions, but i think this is not
> efficient.
>
> does anyone knows, how to signal the main-gtk-thread that the datas are
> loaded (e.g. reading directory especially over ftp-links it's better not
> to lockup the display :) ) by the read_dir_thread, so that the
> main-gtk-thread can fill all the datas in clist.

You might want to investigate thread programming a bit more. Mutexes are a
fairly basic concept :)

> and is there anythink planned to make gtk thread-safe or will this be
> the gpk?

gtk+ 1.1.x includes a "I want to do gtk+ stuff" mutex, which makes it
easier to use from different threads.

-- Elliot
Do you ever just feel thankful that you know me and have access to my
dementia? Explain. Be prepared to discuss in class.