Re: [gtk-list] Callback Argument Marshalling

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998 beach@ataman.com wrote:

> Gtk Developers:
>
> I've been working on providing a Gtk interface to an interpreted
> language and am curious about the argument marshalling feature of the
> GTK API.
>
> I had previously made C callbacks for every unique signal, and did the
> marshalling myself.  But since I stumbled across the argument
> marshalling feature, I've been tempted to use it instead.  How
> robust/complete is this feature?

Fully, in some senses.

> Do all signals support it?

Yes.

> How does it work with the low-level (GdkEvent) signals?

That's the rub: all passed structure pointers (like GdkEvent) will be
passed as a raw pointer, with type "pointer".  Currently disambiguating
such types requires manual assistance, in some form or another.

For more information, I strongly suggest you look at how the various other
interpreter bindings (guile, perl, etc.) have accomplished this.