Re: [gtk-list] Glade - UI Builder

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been working on a GTK UI builder for over a month. It looks a bit like
> Visual Basic - a palette of widgets & a property editor.
> If anyone is interested, you can find the current version at:
>
>     http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/~damon/builder/
>
> A lot of the UI-editing functionality is in place, but it doesn't load
> or save projects or write out the source code yet. Comments welcome.
> (It's quite useful for learning about GTK as well)
It's cool :) (But even if it is cool, I'll still comment a bit :) )

-) When writing the project files, you should not output directly C
   source. You should opt for a intermediate language describing the
   widgets. And from this, every language binding can either compile or
   interpret it at runtime. (As far as I got it, all that is needed are
   some ``exported'' widgets, while most widgets are only used internally
   to build the GUI.)

> I'd like to make it work for plain GTK apps and also for Gnome apps.
> Does anyone know if this is easy to do? (Is GIMP a Gnome app?)
-) Think about making it extensible. Only this way you will be able to
   incooperate addon libraries.

-) GNOME as far as I've got it is an ``add-on'' to GTK. And yes, Gimp
   propably fullfills MOST things that are expected of a GNOME application
   at the time.

> I noticed a recent discussion about an interface-description
> language/format.
> Since I am about to write the code to output the interface (part of it is
> done)
> it would be handy to get a standard format sorted out.
As you are writing it, you should set it. :)
Only thing about it is, that you should probably thing about other
languages in this. And that in certain languages it will probably easiest
to load the GUI at runtime, so including C functions in the project is
probably not the best idea of all.

Some questions:
-) How does one add slots to a VBox?
-) I presume the SigSegv is not intended when I try to open a colorsel in
   properties window. (RH5.0, GTK 1.0.0, 24bit XF86, S3Virge 4MB)

Andreas