Re: [gtk-list] accelerators and lists (gtklist?)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Pascal Rigaux wrote:

> I'd like to write a file manager like program, but a very crude one, with a lot
> of short-cuts. I've written one in a perl-tk but it uses too much memory
> (something like 5Mo). That's why I'm trying to rewrite it in C/gtk+ (much more
(it's called bytes not octets everywhere, you know? *g*)
> difficult).
Have you tried gmc? (The GNOME filemanager)

> There's something easy I can't do with gtk: to scroll the list with the arrow
> keys.  As far as I've seen, the arrow keys change which widget has the focus,
> and the gtklist widget isn't doing the selection.
> More precisely, I'd like a list widget in normal style, but when pressing the
> <Shift> key to extend the selection (multi style). And wen holding the <Control>
> key... like the Windobe mechanism...
First, you probably want to use gtkclist. It's MUCH faster. And it's still
a superset of Tk's listbox, while gtklist is slower but much more
versatile, as you can pack all kinds of widgets in a gtklist.
> I'm wondering if I don't have to completly rewrite the gtklist widget to do what
> I want...
Probably not, if you look what WHAT gtkctree patches into gtkclist. :)

> It also seems a bit complicated to add accelerators.
> All I have able to do is: add a signal, and then connect a short-cut to that
> signal. It's a bit complicated.
Haven't tried to do this. (Actually, I'm a Python/Tkinter to tom/tomgtk
convertite:) )
> By the way, I've been able to add short-cuts with gtk_accelerator_table_install
> for some shortcuts like <control-q>, but not for <Delete>...
I don't know again, but notice, that c-q has a modifier set, while Del
doesn't.

Andreas