accelerators and lists (gtklist?)

I'd like to write a file manager like program, but a very crude one, with a lot
of short-cuts. I've written one in a perl-tk but it uses too much memory
(something like 5Mo). That's why I'm trying to rewrite it in C/gtk+ (much more
difficult).

There's something easy I can't do with gtk: to scroll the list with the arrow
keys.  As far as I've seen, the arrow keys change which widget has the focus,
and the gtklist widget isn't doing the selection.
More precisely, I'd like a list widget in normal style, but when pressing the
<Shift> key to extend the selection (multi style). And wen holding the <Control>
key... like the Windobe mechanism...
I'm wondering if I don't have to completly rewrite the gtklist widget to do what
I want...

It also seems a bit complicated to add accelerators.
All I have able to do is: add a signal, and then connect a short-cut to that
signal. It's a bit complicated.
By the way, I've been able to add short-cuts with gtk_accelerator_table_install
for some shortcuts like <control-q>, but not for <Delete>...

Thank's, Pixel.

Excuse my english, I'm French...