Re: [gtk-list] Suggestion for Perl/GTk packing

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998 dov@Orbotech.Co.IL wrote:
> Reading through the tutorial I really had a feeling that it is a shame
> that the underlying C-Code wasn't build around varargs and named
> parameters. There are lots of strange functions like
If you want this, go for Tcl/Tk. Gtk was ALSO designed to be lowlevel and
fast. With your proposal, every function call would start by comparing
strings. Not a very fast approach.
> gtk_table_attach() vs. gtk_table_attach_with_defaults(),
> gtk_box_pack_start() vs. gtk_box_pack_end() that would be unnecessary
> had this be done. Not to speak about the consequences of adding a new
> parameter in the future to the latter pack functions... E.g. an
> -anchor parameter. There is no room for it without changing all the
> existing code. But this critique obviously doesn't belong to the
Nope, just add a new method, and emulate the older ones internally with
the new one. No code change.

Andreas