Re: [gtk-list] Re: Patch to Gtk?Pane

> Benjamin Dauvergne <feanor@easynet.fr> writes:
>

> > There is some bug when your child is a NO_WINDOW widget and it wants some
> > events(i have removed the handle window frome GtkPane, so paned->window is now

a bug in the old version or the new one?

> > receiving button and motion events). I don't know how to deal with events
> > repartition and I think some gtk gurus could find the matter.
>
> Good work. These are things people have been asking for.

yep.

> On the other hand, I'm not sure I quite agree with everything
> you've done.
>
>  - With the old panes, the user can tell that it is a paned
>    window, because it:
>
>      a) has a groove
>      b) has the handle
>      c) The cursor changes when it is over the handle.

The "new" behaviour is the "windows" behaviour.

>  - With your changes, the area the user can click on is very narrow.
>    I have to try two or three times before I click successfully.

> What I was planning to do was to leave the handle there, but allow the
> user to drag everywhere on the gutter as well. I wanted to change the
> cursor when the pointer was over the gutter so the user know that they
> could drag there.
>
> (Changing the cursor is a little bit tricky. It can be done
>  two ways:
>
>  1) Create another window for the gutter, which has the alternate
>     cursor set.

Maybe for the gutter and the grip (do you expect to change your cursor
between gutter and grip?).
This will allow a wider drag area too. The gutter will just be a bit
more complicated (draw_area - or clrear_area ? - and draw_line instead
of just the draw_line).

>  2) Track the position of the pointer (and Enter/Leave events), and
>     change the cursor accordingly.

it should be time consuming. at least more than a 2nd window in pane IMHO.

> The first method is simpler, but it restricts the area with the
> changed cursor to the size of the gutter, while the second
> method is more flexible.)

To the size of the _window_ in which you draw the gutter.

> Regarding expanding the panes according to the ratio of their
> sizes: when this subject came up before, good points were
> made on either side.
>
> One conclusion was that the current behavior is how panes
> behave on almost every system. So I'd like to leave it as
> the default. However, it is not appropriate for every program.

IMHO it should be one of the points to study for variable look&feel
and themability of 1.1 (as discussed a couple of months ago).

Patrice.