handling pixmaps

Would some kind sole explain the mysteries of pixmaps to me. I
basically want to plot position's onto a map. So, I have a contour
map in xpm format, and have created a drawing area to plot it on and
a backing pixmap to save on flicker.

So, the process (I think) would be to copy the map pixmap onto the
backing pixmap, and then plot the positions (as circles or whatever)
over the top - and then copy this backing pixmap to the drawing area
(and handle expose event's).

Repeat when the positions change.

If someone could show me how to do this I would be most grateful.
Also, the loading of the map pixmap takes an age (using both
gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm and gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm_d), how can
I speed this up?

Thanks

Tony
--
E-Mail: Tony Gale <gale@daedalus.dera.gov.uk>
Nothing is as simple as it seems at first

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.