Re: GDK documentation?

Brendan Miller <brmiller@wco.com> writes:

> I'm in need of a simple XLIB wrapper library (don't really need all the
> bells and whistles of GTK), and thought the GDK might be the answer.
> However, most of the sections of the manual/documentation are empty.  Is
> there documentation or help anywhwere that would tell me how to get
> started?

Actually, writing applications in GDK is much more difficult than
doing so in GTK. The simplest GTK program is about 15 lines; to
put up a window in GDK and draw something on it (not to mention
receiving input), would take closer to 50 lines.

As for documentation on GDK, except for the introduction the tutorial
(which is, naturally slanted towards using GDK _through_ GTK), and the
header files, the best source of detailed information is usually to
figure out what X call the GDK call is wrapping and look at the
man page for that.

Regards,
                                          Owen