Re: [gtk-list] Re: Q's: Animation & GTK Markup Language

On 10 Apr, Daniel Egger shouted:
->  On Thu, 09 Apr 1998, raster@redhat.com wrote:
->
->  > Datatypes is one that springs to mind...
->
->   Datatypes aren't that useful at all.... they tend to identify files wrong...
->   But you are right: the idea behing it is rather genius...

yes.. the idea weas good.. the implimentation wasn't 100% perfect... :)

->  > and an os that can have most or even
->  > all of itslef completely patch and replaced withotu recompilation..
->
->   No, I had big problems because the only way to replace essential
->   things (like exec.library, graphics.library) was to replace the ROM.
->   ROM cost money and you have a big chance that they don't work
->   either (upgrading the ROM caused my weird HD-Controller not to
->   get detected and thus used anymore :(( )

Obviously you didn't run some of the OS patches.. :) the os had a patch
function in the os roms to re-route the jump table for the OS function
call in roms off to another address - which is effectively patching an
os function call to be one of your own.. you could patch any/all
funciton calls and thus completely rteplace the os (it's how you could
speed up the os by moving the os into ram form rom - it's faster to
runt he code off fastram) - there were several/many os patches that did
this kind of thing to change the look of the gui, add functionality,
intercept stuff and filter/modify it etc. :)

->  > lots of shared libraries and decent support for them
->
->   That's a rather great thing....
->
->  > decent file requester libs
->
->   asl is a very odd thing..... but the possibilty of patching the
->   pointers to it and so use any other library instead is
->   one of the most beloved features.....

thats exactly what was wonderful.. it was a nice open design easy to
modify by anyone.. :)

->  > decet gadet/widget libs (MUI springs to mind,then ClassAct and >Miami
->
->   Wurgs... MUI is such a big scrap I can't describe in a few words.....
->
->  >.. plus a really slick filemanager, and windowing system... :)
->
->   What filemanager?

Workbench.

->  >All I want is my wondefful aMigaOs environment back.
->
->:))
->
->  --