Left-justifying widgets in a GtkTable?

It occurred to me (whilst attempting to do so) that for doing forms design
of any sort, the current table could be adapted to be an incredibly
powerful packing tool thing, whilst at the moment it is just plain
annoying, take the following for example:

|Label  | Text Widget | Label 2 | Text Widget 2       |
|Label 3| Text Widget 3              |                |

So far as I can tell, this is simply not possible with the current
GtkTable widget, you have to play around with multiple h/vboxes, and
setting thousands of horrible usizes... *yawn*

What seems to be the trouble is that the GtkTable layout thing assumes
that you want every centered (?) so you end up with the following...

|  Label 1  | Text Widget 1 |    Label 2    | Text Widget 2 |
|   Label   |          |      Text Widget 3      |          |

This is nowhere near as pretty...

So, has anyone got any idea whether this is actually possible at the
moment? Or whether anyone except me thinks it would be worth doing? ;)

Mark