[gtk-list] Re: Additional bindings to gtk

> I'm working on a C++ wrapper for gtk, just to let people know so that
> we don't duplicate too much effort.  Have the Perl interface folk
> considered looking at Swig?  It gives a unified way of creating
> Perl, Python, Tcl, and Guile extensions to a program; I'm not sure
> how easy it would be to get a clean OO design using it, though,
> so it might be best to do things by hand.  If nobody else does, I may
> tackle python bindings in a couple of months (when I have more free
> time).

I took brief look at Swig and decided that it wouldn't be sufficient
to provide a really good interface from Perl to gtk. One particular
problem was that it didn't seem to have any support for callbacks,
I suspect it would be hard to provide a perlish interface to Perl,
a pythonish interface to Python, etc., for something as complicated
as gtk without doing at least some of the interface by hand.

                                        Owen