Re: [gtk-list] Re: Drag and Drop, try 1

On Fri, Jun 13, 1997 at 11:41:21AM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Martynas Kunigelis wrote:
>
> > Note that most probably KDE will use a different protocol in a near
> > future, since Troll Tech promised to add Drand And Drop to Qt 1.3,
> > which is promised to be released "in summer". Hope the Trolls will
> > choose a good protocol, they always do the right thing programmingwise.
> > If only Qt was LGPL!
> >
> > It would be nice, however, if gtk would support DND to/from KDE, since
>
> That would be nice.
>
> Here's what I would like to do:
> 	Get talking with Troll Tech, the OffiX people (who seem to be
> 	rather lax in maintaining things), and you KDE people, along with
> 	the people on this list, and figure out what would be the ultimate
> 	drag and drop protocol. I can't find docs on Motif protocol, but I
> 	suspect it would be a very good place to start.
>
> Then once we have agreed on a protocol, things will work much better.

I think this is a very Good Idea.  Can you draft a message to send to
the various appropriate mailing lists.  (I have a feeling a post to
usenet would generate an awful lot of krfut... enough to justify a
cross-mailing list post.) I suppose a post to comp.os.linux.apps might
not be soooo bad....

[snipage]
> There are no bindings to other languages for Qt, to my knowledge, and a
> quick search of TrollTech's web site seems to bear this out.

Python bindings do exist for Qt.  Not sure how good or useful it is,
as it came out after I stoped dinkering with Qt. (Now, Michael, this
doesn't mean you can start programming with Qt... ;)

[more snipage]
--
					-Otto.