Re: [gtk-list] Re: Drag and Drop, try 1

Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com>
> On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Otto Hammersmith wrote:
>
> > Let's just hope they're bright enough to use OffiX. :)
>
> Heaven help them if they do. OffiX has a lot of shortcomings, and the
> 'phase 2' talked about on the OffiX home page is nowhere in sight.
>
> I think we need to lay out what we want in a DnD protocol and make it
> happen. The KDE people and Troll Tech people probably have some thoughts
> on this too.

Certainly - we want interoperability whenever there's anything to be
gained from it.  On windows 95/nt interoperable drag and drop is
simple, but on x11... imho, both offix dnd and motif dnd suck like
tornadoes.

John Lindal has been bothering me slightly about this - he wants Qt
and jx to use the same protocol.  It probably would be a good idea to
hash out a usable and well-defined protocol on a separate
implementer-only mailing list together, and then stick to this
protocol.  No proprietary extensions, no partial support.

(Implementer-only because people who have to implement a protocol tend
to have reservations against gee-whiz features and other protocol
bloat.)

Cc to John Lindal (who wrote jx drag and drop) and to Torben Weis and
Matthias Ettrich (the most active drag and drop developers of the
KDE).

I can set up a list here, but note that I'll be off the net for next
week.

--Arnt