Re: [gtk-list] Re: Yet more gtk tutorial

Bawer Dagdeviren <chamele0n@geocities.com> writes:

> Seriously it seems like this tut is becommnig HUGE. And in order not to
> feel left out of the format-discussion I would like to suggest that we
> indeed use sgml and use the "Linuxdoc system" DTD. This way it will be
> easier to read even when it's huge and it will have a more standardized
> look (it will look like the Linux HOWTO's).

SGML is certainly the right format, and Linuxdoc would probably be
fine.

That said (for people interested) I have had problems with Linuxdoc.
It didn't support everything I wanted -- so I switched to using
sgmlspl, and wrote my own DTD and some perl based translators.
sgmlspl is quite interesting.  If you haven't seen it, it allows you
to write callback based document translators like:

  sgml('<CENTER>', sub { output "[[begin my sample centering envt]]\n"; }
  sgml('</CENTER>', sub { output "[[end my sample centering envt]]\n"; }

etc.  All the other details are handled for you, and you can add
whatever perl code you need to process your document.  In addition it
provides output stream stacks and other nifty features.  It's much
more flexible than sgmlsasp.

The most interesting tool I've seen is DSSSL (did I get that right?).
It's another SGML processing tool/format that's Scheme based and
object-oriented.  It's currently under development, and may be even
better than sgmlspl, but I'm not sure it's ready for prime time yet.

Sorry for being a little off-topic.
--
Rob