Creating objects in gtk+ ??

Hello to all of you!
I have a question that might seem a bit too general, but I'll go ahead
and ask it anyways =)
How does one go about to create a new object in gtk? Do I have to know
about Xlib (I don't) in order to be able to do this? To be honest the
source-code for gtk doesn't make me any smarter, I would REALLY like it
if someone could make an overview of all the objects and the object-tree
(inheritance etc.) in gtk.
As I said I know that this question may be too general to be answered,
but if someone tried to answer it I would be one happy lad! :)

Bawer