Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk C++ signals/slots

Philip L Dawes wrote
>On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Tero Pulkkinen wrote:
>
>> the web page has example of signal/slot implementation using templates.
>>
>> IMHO its much cleaner than the 'defines in gtk--. At least the code
>> using it looks like C++ code.
>>
>> ( http://www.cs.tut.fi/~p150650/sigslot.html )
>
>I've read and understood your implementation and I like it. But I fail to
>see how you would cleanly implement it as a gtk wrapper mechanism over
>the original gtk signal stuff.

I'm trying to work on that one currently.

>Is this what you intend to do? or are you intending to actually re-write
>the gtk in C++ implementing these new features? (not as difficult as it
>sounds, since the gtk is object oriented anyway)

First thing is to make a wrapper for gtk stuffs so that can make C++
classes out of existing gtk stuffs - so that can use gtk stuffs out
from proper C++ interface. Then to work on so that people can make
their own widgets typesafely within C++ and extend existing ones (and
hopely they will be usable also from C but with more verbose syntax
:). But no. I'm not really thinking of rewriting gtk -- just trying to
provide alternative way of using it.

(People have put too much work to gtk -- certainly not worth reinvent it
with another language..)

>Either way I'd be interested in helping you - I've a fairly solid 3
>year C++ grounding (including STL).

I'll be putting more information about this on the web page soon, and
ideas of how to solve problems with the implementation are of course
welcome.

-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --