Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk C++ signals/slots

"Shawn T. Amundson" wrote
>On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Tero Pulkkinen wrote:
>
>> the web page has example of signal/slot implementation using templates.
>>
>> IMHO its much cleaner than the #defines in gtk--. At least the code using
>> it looks like C++ code.
>>
>> (http://www.cs.tut.fi/~p150650/sigslot.html)
>
>Qt also uses some signal/slot method and perhaps following a similar
>path would be a Good Thing:
>
>http://www.troll.no/qt/metaobjects.html

Qt's path is having separate compiler "moc" to generate the extra stuffs
needed for signal/slot implementation. This has advantage of making it
more portable to compilers which does not support newest C++ features, but
I'm not too fond of having one more extra stage at compilation just because
of signal/slot system -- and templates are available everywhere now.

The sigslot -implementation in our page has been made to implement Qt's
signal/slot mechanism fully with C++'s features.

>BTW, I very much like gtk-- so far as I have used it.

Its ok.

I like Qt too because of its quite clean signal/slot implementation --
but I'm hoping we can get it even better than what trolltech's folks
have been doing.

-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --