Re: [gtk-list] Pls. Help me with GTK

owt1@cornell.edu wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, Glenn wrote:
>
> >     HI there,  please help me with GTK, I installed the rpms of GTk+ and
> > GTK-devel 99.-1 and gimp has already
> > worked ( it was a pre-compiled binary). but whenever I try to compile
> > something for GTK, it says
> > " /usr/lib/libgtk.so: undefined reference to `iswctype' "
> >
> >     I am really sold on the GTK and I want to desperately develop for
> > it, please do help me. btw here is what I typed, I tried to compile the
> > hello world example from the GTK tutorial, and I used  "gcc -Wall -g
> > hello_world.c -o hello_world -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lglib -lgdk -lgtk -lX11
> > -lXext -lm" .
>
> This looks OK. The problem seems to be that your header files don't
> match your C library. (iswctype is a function that sn't mentioned
> specifically in the GTK sources, so you header files must define
> another function using that function. But your C library doesn't
> seem to have iswctype)
>
> Are you using RedHat 4 or 5?
> If you are using 4.x, have you installed any upgrades to your C library?
>
> > maybe as you havenoticed, I am a newbie, so please excuse me if I
> > have asked you a really stupid and common sense question, but please
> > help me, thanks a lot in advance,
>
> It is't obvious to me. The next version of GTK will handle the
> wide character identification functions in a different manner, so
> if nothing else, hopefully that will fix your problem.
>
> Regards,
>                                      Owen

  Yes, I am using Redhat, 4.2 and I haven't installed any new C libraries,
well I tried to install glibc 2.x but it didn't work so I just uninstalled it
with rpm , do you think that what I did with that affected GTK ?,

    How do I make my header files match with my C library again?

    If I am not able to fix this problem, you said that installing the next
release will fix it, when will the next release be released?

Thanks owen :)