Re: Experimental Anon-CVS Access

"Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:

> We started using CVSup for the PostgreSQL project back in September. We got great support from the developer, John Polstra
> <jdp@polstra.com>, and it has been working well^H^H^H^H very well for us since.

Is that the size of Modula 3 the only big problem?

> The biggest downside is the cost of the first
> installation: ~200MB to install Modula3! (This is my recollection, and there may be ways to shrink that substantially.)

That's what's holding me back on Linux - there isn't a Debian package of
Modula 3, and it looks like a big job to make one up.

I tried it on FreeBSD though, and it looked fairly intriguing.  I noticed
they use ctm (cvs-though-mail) as their preferred method of distributing
source though.

I'm also looking for a low-bandwidth way of moving binary packages
(primarily .deb and .rpm, .tar.gz, plus one I plan to build myself) around,
so I also want to play with it for that.  I noticed that they even had the
rsync protocol built into it too.

I also might build a CVS repository for the Linux kernel (organized
through the LinuxHQ website) - it might be a good way of distributing that
to mirror sites (and beyond).

Cheers,

 - Jim

PGP signature