Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk+-cvs-971208 compilation problems

[Shawn T. Amundson]

| > (But the previous problem with Page_Up vs. Prior indicate that
| > there are differences between machines)
|
| Is this a problem with differing versions of X11? [...] Or is it
| more to do with the OS/arch?

I believe it is a problem with differing versions of X11.

The problem I'm facing is that every locally compiled X11 app here has
been linked against the locally installed X11 libraries (which was
probably fine some time ago, but is rather old now).  Then, over time,
the various OS vendors distributed their OS with newer X11 versions.
Ideally, this should have made the locally installed X11 obsolete, but
we "just" have to recompile everything first[1] ...

So here I am, with a /usr/openwin/include/X11/keysymdefs.h defining
Page_Up and friends, and a ((locally) recommended, considering the
current state of affairs) /local/X11R5/include/X11/keysymdefs.h _not_
defining them.

And, of course, I hesitate to use the includes from one install tree
when linking against libraries in another ...

I could cry.

[1] And, as we support multiple releases of SunOs, Solaris, HP-UX,
    IRIX, Digital UNIX, ULTRIX and AIX here, there would probably[2]
    be problems with differing X11 versions on the different
    platforms/releases as well.

[2] You *do* know an understatement when you see one, right? :)
--
Harald