Re: [gtk-list] Clipboard

> are there any clipboard functions in GTK? From
> reading function-names I would guess, that the
> selection stuff has that purpose, but I could
> not find any info about that.

I wrote a fairly detailed section for the tutorial explaining selections.

  http://www.levien.com/~slow/gtk/tutorial/gtk_tut.html

It mostly talks about the PRIMARY selection (what is used for middle
button pasting), but it is easy enough to extend this to explicit
cut-copy-paste with the CLIPBOARD selection, if that is what you
are interested in. (I just added this functionality to the entry
widget - I'm not sure if it made it into the 12-08 CVS snapshot
or not.)

> Are there any attempts to port the GDK to
> LinuxGGI. Currently, the GDK only renames
> the corresponding X functions, which does
> not make much sense, unless this extra
> layer is being used to port GDK to something
> else. As other operating systems hardly can be
> a useful target to port to, LinuxGGI is
> would be the only useful platform to port
> the GDK to.

GGI seems like a pretty difficult target to shoot for. GTK does rely
quite a bit on having an underlying windowing system. Berlin might
be a bit easier (if that is anything more than a name...)

But I don't know of any attempts to port GTK to other platforms. It
would require a major restructuring of the code separate platform
independent stuff, would require the formulation of higher level
abstractions in some cases (for instance, selections), and probably
would require forcing the other platform into the X mold.

If the Berlin folks know what there doing, (I haven't checked)
they'll make it have an API that encourages porting programs from
X, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad.

Regards,
                                        Owen