GTK_SHADOW_SHALLOW_IN

I'm setting up a portable application that uses Gtk for its UNIX
interface, and have spotted one subtle 3D effect that it cannot do.

Specifically, if you look at the "status bar" now commonly displayed at
the bottom of Windows'95(TM) windows, you'll see that it contains a series
of sunken 3D panels, as the "wells" for particular pieces of information.
This is also visible as the "tray" on the task bar.

However, if I try to use a GtkFrame with GTK_SHADOW_IN style, they are
sunken too far! It seems that the extra black line that Gtk uses to draw
its 3D boxes (which gives Gtk its very crisp appearance) is not desirable
for this application. Would anyone like to comment on
GTK_SHADOW_SHALLOW_IN/OUT shadow types make only a single pixel-wide
border?

Arguments that another graphical style would be better (or that a
completely different approach is warranted) will be gladly accepted. I
don't want Gtk to try to match Windows in appearance, just capabilities.

Thanks,
Ken