Re: [gtk-list] Newbie--Problem installing GTK

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Lucian P. Smith wrote:

> Hello!  Sorry to disturb you all, but I figured you'd be the ones who'd
> know.  I'm trying to install GTK on an SGI Indy running IRIX 5.1 into my
> home directory (don't worry, there's plenty of space) so that I can then
> install GIMP.  Everything seems to run smoothly after running the configure
> file:

[...]

> Can anyone tell me what the hangup here is?  Thanks!

Yes. Apparently the problem is that some of the internationalization stuff
that's been recently added to gtk+ is dependent on glibc. I also had
971201 fail to compile on my machine, which is mostly a stock RedHat 4.1
box.

I think the best way to handle this problem is to detect for wchar.h in
the configuration script, and disable the inclusion of wchar.h if not
present. In the meantime, the following works for me:

* Comment out both occurrences of the #include <wchar.h>.

* Add this line near the top of gtk/gtkentry.c:

#define iswalnum isalnum

Best of luck,

Raph