Suspending updates on lists

I'm working with a large gtk_list.  When I delete a selected item from the
list, gtk_list changes the default selection to item 0.  I then force the
selection back to a reasonable position with gtk_list_select_child.  The
problem is item 0 gets selected in the interim, and then bounces back to
the one I selected.  One option is to set the new selected item before I
delete the previously selected one.  Another option is to suspend
updateing of the list until I have carried out all the operations I want
on the list.  Does anyone know how to do this, or if it's possible?

Jay Painter -- jay@ssc.com -- jay@a42.com
Systema Admin., SSC/Linux Journal
http://www.a42.com/~jay