Re: pango vs. libraqm

Hi Daniel,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 7:34 PM Daniel G via gtk-i18n-list <gtk-i18n-list gnome org> wrote:
Hello Pango wizards,

Could someone provide an overview (via a bulleted list, perhaps) of what additional functionality Pango provides, over something minimal like libraqm?

Comparing PangoLayout to libraqm is valid.  As far as I understand, and Khaled can correct me, raqm does not do font fallback and line breaking currently, nor does it do font enumeration.  Raqm is designed to add to applications that otherwise have a very simplistic view of text rendering. Ie. they use FreeType and a single font to render single-line text (think, movie subtitles...).  Raqm can very easily add complex text rendering support to such systems.

I'm asking because I'm trying to understand text layout at a deeper level, without having to get my hands too dirty (prematurely) poring over source code. But I fully expect that will be necessary before long ...

(On that note, thank you Behdad for "State of Text Rendering" - very helpful)

Thanks.  Needs update...

cheers,
-d