pango vs. libraqm

Hello Pango wizards,

Could someone provide an overview (via a bulleted list, perhaps) of what additional functionality Pango provides, over something minimal like libraqm?

I'm asking because I'm trying to understand text layout at a deeper level, without having to get my hands too dirty (prematurely) poring over source code. But I fully expect that will be necessary before long ...

(On that note, thank you Behdad for "State of Text Rendering" - very helpful)

cheers,
-d