Re: Need help understanding how things fit together

Behdad, maybe your presentation using these slides were ever recorded and the video is available somewhere? Also what is the status of harbfbuzz/pango integration to android? I saw you mentioned it in slides.

On 15-01-20 11:10 AM, Anthony Kraft wrote:
> FT has a function FT_Get_Char_Index to get a glyph index from a unicode char
> code. Therefore, it seems you can feed Unicode + font file to FT directly and
> rasterize. What is the benefit of using HarfBuzz to do the unicode to glyph
> mapping instead of using FT directly?

HarfBuzz does what's called "complex" shaping.  Ie, if you use
FT_Get_Char_Index, you won't get the correct shapes for Arabic, Indic
languages, Thai, etc.  You won't get things like ligatures, mark positioning,
etc either.

See images here:

  http://goo.gl/2wSRu

--