gtk_init(NULL, NULL) segfault

I am using a GDK pixbuf for rendering images onto a Cairo surface.  I have a Windows application used for prototyping this.  It initializes GTK by calling gtk_init(NULL, NULL).  This works fine and the application renders images well.  The target for this application is Linux and the same call results in a warning ((<unknown>:32758): Gdk-WARNING **: cannot open display:) followed by a segfault.  Is there something else I need to do in order to satisfy the gtk_init API on Linux?

Thanks!
Bob