Re: Rendering a custom glyph using pango

--- On Tue, 2/14/12, Steve White <stevan white googlemail com> wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish, but let

My aim is simple: I want to add custom glyphs to the font file with custom codes assigned to these glyphs and display these glyphs in gtktextview when I press a key to which I map to the code.

And I want to achieve this programatically and not by other means such as figuring out commands to replace maps.

I have successfully managed to do all the above by assigning an unused unicode value but not a value in the private user area. At some point, I even want to try out codes that are 64 bits long.

> (Pardon me for telling you stuff you already know.)

Trust me, I probably will learn something new from you! So thanks for responding.

> As to "random" substitution: do you really mean "random",
> meaning a different glyph every time, or "arbitrary"?

I did not mean a different glyph every time, but that I want to choose a value for the code outside the range specified by the unicode standards. For example, if I have a 64 bit architecture, can I choose a code value wider than 32 bits and still expect gtk to work if the font file has this code mapped to the glyph?

> As to using "C": that langage knows nothing about fonts.

I just meant that I am looking for a programmatic solution and not commands to replace maps behind the scene.

> To even discuss this, we need to know which graphics or font library

I use gtk on linux and I add glyphs to existing ttf font files using fontforge.

Thanks,
-Ferdinand