Glyphs Issue with Pango Fonts

Hi all,

I am a research engineer at Software for Education Entertainment and Training Activities(SEETA). As a part of a project, I was working on an activity in OLPC's desktop environment Sugar. The activity i was working on is a word translator, and pango fonts are used for creating the User Interface and henceworth, used for the output . The problem i am facing is several glyphs are missing when used in languages such as spanish/italian. For example, Italian translation of "mast" is "alebro" but instead the application shows [box with cross]lbero. Similarly, several more characters such as 'é' are not interpreted correctly.

If a way can be suggested such that the issue is resolved using pango fonts or a suitable alternative, it'll be really helpful.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards,

Sarvagya Mukhi
Research Engineer,
Software for Education Entertainment and Training Activities
http://seeta.in