problem installing pango...(how to fix pango 1.0 and how to install pango 1.2*.*

Hi!

I've been using pango 1.0 with gtk. After I unsuceffully attempted to
install a newer version of pango, I installed back version 1.0 but
pango stop working.

I get
Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output.
engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'

(grafit:6095): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly
output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'

(grafit:6095): Pango-WARNING **: _pango_cairo_font_install called with
bad font, expect ugly output

and my computer becomes hardly useful since all gtk application
don't show any text only small boxes.

my  pango-querymodules  say this:

# Pango Modules file
# Automatically generated file, do not edit
#
# ModulesPath = /usr/local/lib/pango/1.6.0/modules
#
/usr/local/lib/pango/1.6.0/modules/pango-arabic-lang.so
ArabicScriptEngineLang PangoEngineLang PangoRenderNone arabic:*
/usr/local/lib/pango/1.6.0/modules/pango-basic-x.so BasicScriptEngineX
PangoEngineShape PangoRenderX common:

and :
fc-list|wc gives:
   220     459    7272

So pleaty of fonts around.

Can you help on how to solve this issue (so I can recover my computer apps).

I've tried basically everthing I found on the web on the topic but
nothing worked so far, and the problem persists.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jorge.

---part two---
I tried to instal pango 1.27.1 and did not work...but in the process i
broke pango 1.0 and so my system in almost unusable.

I send in attachment a .txt file with the ouput of ./configure
and other with the output of ./make.

below is tail of the output of the pango  make:
----
pango/mini-fribidi/Makefile.am:17:   The usual way to define `LIBTOOL'
is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
pango/mini-fribidi/Makefile.am:17:   to `configure.in' and run
`aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
pango/mini-fribidi/Makefile.am:17:   If `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' is in
`configure.in', make sure
pango/mini-fribidi/Makefile.am:17:   its definition is in aclocal's search path.
pango/opentype/Makefile.am:8: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
pango/opentype/Makefile.am:8:   The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is
to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
pango/opentype/Makefile.am:8:   to `configure.in' and run `aclocal'
and `autoconf' again.
pango/opentype/Makefile.am:8:   If `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' is in
`configure.in', make sure
pango/opentype/Makefile.am:8:   its definition is in aclocal's search path.
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1
(END)
----

Can somebody please open the files and see if is any hint you can
provide about what when wrong with **pango** make?

The problem appears (i think) because I did "make install" and did not
noticed that the make did not work. So what ever happen broke the
installed version pango1.0. (I'm using linux ubuntu Drapper. Since my
CDrom is broken I'm unable to install a newer version of ubuntu).

Thanks for your help,
Jorge.