Non-installed fonts with Pango

How do you use a font that is not available on the system to layout text with Pango? I basically want to load a font from a file.

I can do this with Cairo using FreeType routines, but there doesn't appear to be a Pango equivalent to cairo_ft_font_face_create_for_ft_face().

I have tried setting the font using cairo and not using pango_layout_set_font_description() when I create the layout, but that just displays text in the default serif font.

Thanks,

Eddie