Re: pangox.aliases?

On 08/10/2009 03:59 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
Hi all,

[Please CC me in any replies, I'm not subscribed]

I'm looking at working on removing the Debian-specific, unmaintained
defoma font configuration system from Debian (and ∴ Ubuntu) in favour of
the cross-distro fontconfig font configuration system.

One of the blockers for this is the defoma backend in the Debian pango
package for generating /etc/pango/pangox.aliases from the currently
installed fonts.

I read in these old threads that pangox.aliases is no longer used:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2004-December/msg00038.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2004-December/msg00039.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2004-December/msg00177.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2004-December/msg00180.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2004-December/msg00181.html

Is that the case? The above mails are not exactly clear on that. pango
1.24.5 still seems to contain code for reading pangox.aliases, but I
wasn't able to see from the NEWS file if it is still used by pango.

pangox has been deprecated for years. The code is still distributed, but neither developed nor maintained. I'll give removing it a shot for next release.

behdad