pangox.aliases?

Hi all,

[Please CC me in any replies, I'm not subscribed]

I'm looking at working on removing the Debian-specific, unmaintained
defoma font configuration system from Debian (and ∴ Ubuntu) in favour of
the cross-distro fontconfig font configuration system.

One of the blockers for this is the defoma backend in the Debian pango
package for generating /etc/pango/pangox.aliases from the currently
installed fonts.

I read in these old threads that pangox.aliases is no longer used:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2004-December/msg00038.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2004-December/msg00039.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2004-December/msg00177.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2004-December/msg00180.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2004-December/msg00181.html

Is that the case? The above mails are not exactly clear on that. pango
1.24.5 still seems to contain code for reading pangox.aliases, but I
wasn't able to see from the NEWS file if it is still used by pango.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise