Re: [Pango] layout's ink/log widths descrepancy

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 18:39 +0200, Eugene Paskevich wrote:

> This rises two questions:
> 1) Is there any way to make layout not exceed some ink
>     width value?

No.

> 2) Am I totally wrong and this must be done some other way?

No.  There's (currently) no way to do that.  In the future when Pango
supports italic-correction, it will be less of a problem.

> Or may be I just don't understand the meaning of ink/log
> rectangles... In this case I' going to need some explanation.

You understand it correctly.   Just that it's a common practice to have
glyph ink go beyond the layout boundary, for typographical reasons.
There are even more extreme cases of this, like hanging-punctuation that
intentionally position punctuation marks at the end of line almost out
of the logical line boundary...

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/