Re: Pango -> Fix needs to be applied for Kannada

On 9/1/07, Rahul Bhalerao <b rahul pm gmail com> wrote:

> 2007/9/1, ASB <apbrar gmail com>:
> >

> > ----------  ਅੱਗੇ ਭੇਜਿਆ ਸੁਨੇਹਾ  ----------
> >
> > Subject: Re: Pango -> Fix needs to be applied for Kannada
> > Date: ਸ਼ਨਿੱਚਰਵਾਰ 01 ਸਤੰਬਰ 2007 04:37
> > From: Behdad Esfahbod < behdad behdad org>
> > To: omshivaprakash gmail com
> > Cc: gtk-i18n-list gnome org
>
> <snip>
>
> > > I'm attaching the proof of the text which is found after installing
> > > the pango patched with the fix.
> >
> > What you don't provide a proof for is that this change doesn't break
> > other combinations.  It's not easy to prove that though.  That's why
> > many Indic issues are stalled in bugzilla right now, until we find a way
> > to go forward.  Two ways to go forward is:
> >
> >   * Find an Indic expert that we can trust and that has time to maintain
> > the Indic module.  I don't think this will happen.
>

> I would like to maintain the Indic module. With my experience in font
> development and continuous work on Indic scripts, I think you may trust me
> on this :)

If any help is needed on this, I would gladly volunteer.
For the record, I created the first standalone Bengali OpenType font
(even before Microsoft came out with a official spec) and coordinated
the Free Bengla Fonts Project[1] for almost two years. I also created
a Devanagari Open Type font as a part of my Sarai fellowship[2].

Cheers,
Sayamindu

[1] http://www.nongnu.org/freebangfont/
[2] http://sayamindu.randomink.org/conv_guide/