specifying path to locale directory

Hi,
     I'm involved in building a gtk applicationg under solaris.  I'm building the app in such a way that the gtk libraries get distributed with it so the user doesn't have
to worry about installing gtk.  Using the environment variables I can set gtk to look for most things in a custom directory.  The one problem I'm having is telling GTK where to look for the locale directory.  I installed GTK with a package manager under solaris into /opt/csw.  So the locale directory is contained in /opt/csw/share.  No matter what I try GTK keeps looking in here for the locale directory.  How can I tell GTK to look in a custom place for the locale directory?

-- Mark