pango installation question

I'm trying to compile pango version 1.18.0, before I can attempt to install gtk.
At compile time, I get an undefined symbol error message:

Undefined			first referenced
 symbol  			    in file
pangoft2_viewer                     pango-view.o

I got the same error message when I tried to compile an earlier version
of pango (1.16.4). So, I don't think there is anything wrong with the
source code. But, I wonder first if others get this error message, and
second how they solve it.

I'm using a sun sparc platform with Sun studio compilers.

Thanks,
-AM