Re: Arabic-Hindi digits vs. Arabic-western digits

Hi Waleed,

A late reply, but better late than never.

Ideally, this should be handled by the locale. If you are, say, from
Saudia Arabia then your locale is ar_SA and arabic hindu numericals
should be displayed.

To make this possible, in translation (what we do), this should be done
by substituting every "%d" (for integer), as well as other terms, with
an "%Id". However, the Arabic team does not do that at the moment
because:

1) the old CVS system refused translations with %Id  so we got carried
away doing %d everywhere.
2) GNOME does not have a clear policy on this issue.

The second ppoint is important because most developers don't mark some
%d's for translation, so we can get a situation where an interface has
mixed numericals. Which is a Bad Thing wrt consistency.

We're hoping to shape up a proposal regarding this when we're ready.

For now, if you absolutly need it, your solution is a very ugly hack:
replace every arabic numerical in your font with a hindu one.

Djihed

في ن، 05-11-2007 عند 10:05 +0200 ، كتب Waleed Oransa: