Re: Accessing get_ascent/get_descent from a FontDescription

Hi Alex,

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 18:12 -0800, Alex Faucher wrote:
> I'm tasked with doing some very precise font positioning.  In order to
> do this it seems I need to access the ascent/descent from the
> FontMetrics class.  I've spent quite a bit of time with the
> documentation (mostly gtkmm, but I can use the c bindings if thats the
> only way) and I am unable to see how I can get a FontMetrics class from
> a PangoFontDescription or a textual description "Times New Roman"
> Preferably the translation would be short, but I can modify our font
> management to keep the result if nessicary.  Does anyone have any
> recommendations as to how I can get at these metrics?

You can get the font metrics for a font using pango_font_get_metrics().
You get the PangoFont either from a pango_itemize(), PangoLayout, or
pango_font_map_load_font(), depending on what you want to do.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759