Accessing get_ascent/get_descent from a FontDescription

I'm tasked with doing some very precise font positioning. In order to do this it seems I need to access the ascent/descent from the FontMetrics class. I've spent quite a bit of time with the documentation (mostly gtkmm, but I can use the c bindings if thats the only way) and I am unable to see how I can get a FontMetrics class from a PangoFontDescription or a textual description "Times New Roman" Preferably the translation would be short, but I can modify our font management to keep the result if nessicary. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how I can get at these metrics? I don't quite understand the internal relationship between Font Families, FontSets, Fonts, FontDescriptions etc so any clarification on that point would also be helpful.

Lastly, a suggestion, the pango documentation could use a few visual guides to the various parameters to those unfamiliar with the details of fonts. This is the 4th or 5th time I've tried to find the measurement to tell me the font placement from the baseline. It is something that would be useful and I don't feel qualified doing it myself.

Thanks,
Alexander Faucher

--
Alexander Faucher